Friday 31 July 2009

iTunes images and xml files

ARGH. Been trying to organise my iTunes collection especially as I've had a few dramas with the storage of the music.

- had a harddisk crash on a PC with 3 drives. 2 set up RAID1 whilst OS (Ubuntu) running on 3rd. Fortunately it was the OS drive that crashed, but I had to rebuild that to get to the music.
- had a second disk crash. This time, one of the RAID drives. PC wouldn't boot either, random beeps on boot during POST, graphics card not working, seating of memory affecting it sometimes, plus OS had crashed again.
- Moved to NAS. Working ok, except by trying to clean up what I had, I somehow deleted some of the album covers.
- downloaded icoverart. This allowed me to list and identify the tracks with missing artwork.
- After sorting out 1000's of songs, iCoverArt complains about some tracks yet the image shows in iTunes.
- It looks like I have an Album art folder on the NAS and one locally. And I'm guessing they don't match. Some of the missing art from an iCoverArt perspective is visible in iTunes.
- Now trying to look at iTunes XML file and work out how the persistent ID is used to find an image file.
.
.
.
- Oh, its that simple. The persistent ID is the suffix to the library identifier. Just a search reveals which hex labelled folder has the ITC file. I was trying to work out if some AND op on the persistent ID and the library ID revealed the directories that the image file is in.

Anyway, iCoverArt is working pretty well to help identify and search for album artwork, along with http://www.coverhunt.com/ and http://www.discogs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment