Sunday 11 August 2002

go the warriors!

Trev wanted to get connected to the internet. He's been using someone else connection for a while and wants to start sending emails but the luddite in him rejects the idea of it being a simple process, and asks for me to do something about it. I have rather enjoyed ignoring computers lately, and the last few weeks have meant I either havent wanted to email, havent been near an PC or havent had the time especially if I have been washing dishes, so I wasnt looking forward to sorting it.

I walked round town to find out what I could about ISP's, and on my return to the Mezzanine cafe, I found the couple from Brighton eating at Dr Nash's table. After the directions I had given them when we had stayed in Opononi, they had driven through Whangarei and found it without difficulty. I guess "opposite Pac-n-save" is pretty simple but its nice when someone listens to me and understands me. I know what some of my directions are like.

Warwick turned up early afternoon and we picked up Jackie and Stu and headed to Auckland for the game.

I dont know anything about Rugby league and I havent learnt anything since, but I think it was a good game. The Warriors won and the best argument I have heard when talking about money, American foreign policy or how much house prices are around the world is "Go the Warriors!". The crowd was good, we had beers and plastic hotdogs, it was cold and it was my first Rugby League match, so it was similar conditions to my first football match (Aston Villa vs Notts County in 1982, Notts won 3-1). The cheerleaders were fantastic and Im having one delivered shortly. The hits were hard and one guy died, but I think he might have been a spectator.

It was an awesome experience, with a great atmosphere, far friendlier than a football match back home. There were kids everywhere and I thought it would be unsafe for them but then I was seeing it with British eyes; all the violence was on the pitch, which made it an even more gladitatorial affair. The Bulldogs are top of the table had a 17 game unbeaten run, but this was stopped by the Warriors who are 4th in the table. I think Im going to be following the Warriors from now on, and I never thought I'd have a Rugby League team to follow. We drove home happy, slightly drunk, and cold.

Starting to get itchy feet again. The Shaolin Monks are in Auckland on Tuesday and I also want to go to the Bay of Islands. Not sure what to do or which direction to go in, although I should go south soon. This is written on Trevs laptop and Im wanting to steal it off him, but two or three weeks of washing dishes doesnt seem a very fair exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment