Friday 10 January 2003

back to normality

New Years day was a write off. Most of it was spent in a semi-permanent vegetative state, trying to read a book or staring into space. The day after and I had a bit more life in me, and made it to the beach for a surf. I went to the pass, supposedly a good right hand point break, but then Im still doing more paddling around than standing up. I moved down towards Clarks beach as the direction of the swell meant that the less crowded beach break meant I was more likely to catch a wave. While Im there, a small pod of dolphins passes by. The sun is shining, people are chatting to each other as they wait for the waves to come in, then some dolphins appear. Fantastic. They swam past us in only waist deep water, jumping and splashing around.

It was excellent spending more time with Mike and Mel, and I seemed to be getting on pretty well with Holly. I think that was more down to the way I never had the guts to tell her to stop doing something, as she isnt my child to bring up, and that not only am I at a similar educational level, but that I have the time to behave at a that level. There were lots of chasing games across the carpet and a few games of peek-a-boo. For a 11 month old she is very mobile and chatty. Her vocabulary includes 'dada', 'dakka dakka' which is the name for most things, 'ay' used in surprise, 'phlurrp' which can mean lots of fun, tastes nasty, or Im full up, and a reasonable dose of crying, which also has more than one meaning.

To those with kids this is no revelation, but for me, I was most surprised at how vocal and conversational a nearly one-year-old baby could be. Ok, she still cant drink beer and she seems to make pooh like its going out of fashion, in as many colours as there are in the rainbow, but she is a joy to hang out with. It sounds like I got clucky, while I think its more a case of finding a baby that is actually good fun. She loves playing, like shouting in a bucket (I showed her that one) and playing with cordless phones and a red ball. I tried showing off at how I could at least throw it and catch it; she didnt seem that impressed and showed me how she could bite into the ball, then chew cardboard. I had to concede defeat.

Mike and Mel are still very sociable people and despite it being their holiday had and are having many people over. Friends Annie and Phil came over, for a barbeque and while I'd like to say it was an especially nice evening, it was just as pleasant and lovely as all the other evening, but had the addition of two more lovely people.

The day after, it was crazy room change. An english student from Switzerland was coming to stay for 10 weeks, so we were moving into Holly's room and the student was taking the spare room. He's Stefan, having just completed a bank apprenticeship and seems to have a lot more get up and go compared to myself. Within two days he was out cycling, having surf lessons and going down the pub. Young whippersnappers.

It was drawing to a close. I was still surfing nearly every day, sometimes taking Michaels modified bike with board carrier, which made the journey to the beach a lot less strenuous and less wasted if the surf was poor. Note. Must buy camper van soon. On the last day in Byron, a wednesday, we prepared a picnic, and Cathy, Holly, Mel and Myself all went out. We drove over to Bangalow, a little country town inland from Byron. In the park the river has been dammed to create a swimming pool. Under the shade of pine and gum trees we set out the picnic. A lizard at least 40cm, maybe 50cm, came to join us. Holly got to explore outside which was obviously stimulating her, and we got to see a bit more of the area. The town itself is really a village, and looks like a frontier town. A main street is lined now with antique shops and small art boutiques, but you can see it was once full of general stores and farm shops.

Afterwards, we popped in to some friends of Mels who are staying at their Granny's house in the hills overlooking Byron Bay. Chris is an artist and web designer, while Natalie is a film producer. Their baby Zoe was poles apart to Holly, and I only seem to appreciate that now. Zoe was quiet and shy. No matter, I played with their dog Nookie instead. Dont ask. The pool, surrounded by palms, gum trees and lovely flowers, overlooks the bay and is next to the house. You can sit in the Gazebo and read, or dive in and cool off and it made a wonderful change swimming in freshwater and not saltwater. This lifestyle.

Evening came and we were nearly packed. Becky picked us up for one last drink at the Rails, and I got to meet a lovely couple, Christine and Doug, friends of Becky. They were having a little drink to celebrate their daughter who had tragically died 5 years before, and I was in awe at the way they really did celebrate. There is more to their tale, but its not for me to tell. You will just have to come to Byron Bay yourself.

The coach arrived as the storm was nearing. Lighting filled the sky and each bolt illuminated the clouds like there was a faulty fluorescent tube behind them, blinking sporadically. A new pillow purchased from Woolworths ensured that as long as there wasnt a vomit boy on the coach, it would be a more pleasant journey. This is noted as a top tip for travelling Australia; take a pillow.

Getting back to Sydney was both sad and pleasant. The sea was colder, but the break is more familiar to me, there are friends here, but they are down in Bondi, I can earn money here, but I have to put my ego and pride in my locker before I start.

Its time to knuckle down and earn some money, then buy a van and get the hell out of Dodge.

No comments:

Post a Comment