Monday 29 July 2002

a set of wheels!

I think some or in fact lots of beer was involved in Saturday night. We went to a nightclub on the southern part of Queens St, in what appeared to be a disused building. The club was up a large flight of stairs and only cost $5 to get in. After drinking far too many Tequila, Vodka and Redbulls I remember not sleeping much at all, then getting to Ellerslie Racecourse at 10 wandering around aimlessly staring at 15 year old Honda Accords and rusty Ford Falcons. I ended up buying one of the former as it was being sold by a very sweet old Malaysian couple, and I trusted them. My instinct hasnt proved wrong and despite the electrics being slightly suspect, the car is a goer.

I couldnt buy it straight away as it had the family number plate on it, so we drove back to their house to discuss arrangements and hopefully to meet the owner of the car; the couples brother in law, Vincent. He happened to be out playing golf, but his wife was in and she agreed to the price. Charlie the husband in the old couple then walked me to the bus station and told me the story of his family and how many of his relatives had come to New Zealand from Singapore and Malaysia on his recommendation. The majority of them had stayed. I can understand why.

I got back to the hostel, hung-over, tired but relieved that I had bought a car as I was getting sick to death of sitting on buses and being dependant on expensive scheduled routes that take you to towns that everyone else has already gone to, and I went to bed. You know that excitement that you get when you look forward to something special? A christmas when you are 7 where you have asked for a bike, or the excitement going to school the next day, knowing that you will be seeing a girl in Art which you have squirly maelstrom emotions for. Thats how I was looking forward to getting the car.

Myself and Vincent did phone calls on Monday morning, and he came from St Johns (Wood?) to Ponsonby, where we exchanged handshakes and hard cash. I have never understood the pain associated arising from parting with hard cash compared to the lasseiz faire attitude we have to using plastic. Its all a conspiracy with the banks and shops as they know this and exploit this weakness.

I have a car though, a 1987 Honda Accord, 2.0Si, Electric everything, including folding mirrors, Rego ATC569. Notice its not registration or reg but 'rego'. Its started, I can speak a little kiwi eh. Add O's to things if it improves the 'noise' the word makes, and it makes sense, as boring works become exciting and interesting, especially if you have to use them alot. I bought the car because it feels loved. Vincents wife had driven it for most of the time, it only has 130 000km on the clock which is particularly good for a car of its age, and its a manual, as I cant stand auto's and I was worried about reliability. Arent I sensible.

Monday afternoon was beautiful as it was when Phil, Mick, Charlie, Clare and I went out out to Mission Bay. There the girls got creative and built a truly beautiful gecko from sand, while the blokes played football on the beach, sending the girls into the water to fetch the ball whenever necessary and then taking a break from the sport to have a cigarette break. It was finished off nicely with fish and chips. I paid $12 = ? for a LARGE coke, two LARGE chips, a LARGE potato fritter and a LARGE piece of very fresh very tasty fish, possibly called Tawahaki. We got back in time for Phil to get to the dentist for more work and in time for tea.

I spent the rest of the afternoon fitting a car stereo, a CD player one as I dont have tapes, and didnt see the point of listening to old technology. The car has the same wiring loom as my old Rover Sprint and Im sorry to say that I can still remember the colours so wiring it up was a cinch.

I felt now I had a car it was time to go. I was preparing to leave and go back up north.

No comments:

Post a Comment