Tuesday 23 July 2002

How ya goin there, eh mayte

Back in the real world. I turn up to Auckland and it does exactly what it says on the tin; its a city. I'd picked a nice hostel in Ponsonby, the up-coming cafe district, and I chose well. Not being a snob but I thought best leave the year-outers to their fun and games; they tend to stay at the party palace hostels in the town centre.

The first few days I was still in Island time; getting up late or early, but not really doing anything. I spent a day reading a book, then did a bit of shopping another day. Bought myself a rucksack cover to protect it at airports and its also waterproof, which should help when I go to the south island. Its been a bit boozy and stuff at the Brown Kiwi, but its a good crowd. One night turned a little too messy. It was Phils birthday and we all went down to the Cavalier on Victoria St. Headed off into town and got him very drunk, to the point where he gets thrown out of the club. I felt it best to get him home, which I do, but in the morning he has discovered
that his front teeth have been smashed by something the night before. I have no recollection, and he certainly doesnt. The only theory is that he rolled off the settee in the lounge and smashed his teeth there. $3000 of dental work needs to be done.

I decided to leave the scene of the crime, or rather I was getting bored of waiting for my new bank card to come through. Oh I didnt explain, someone has been taking money out of my account in the Cook Islands, and its been going into the account of the hire company where I picked up the motorbike. I have had to cancel my card, and it seems that LloydsTSB in their wisdom haev no procedure for getting a card to overseas customers. I'd like to get that black horse and turn it into glue. Bunch of imbiciles.

Anyway, as I wait for my card to come through (which still has more money in my account than WorldCom) I thought I would head north to Whangarei (Maori pronunciation - Fangaray). I stayed a couple of days at a hostel, the Bunkdown Lodge, very pleasant, except that after leaving my Merrels on the doorstep they were soon stolen. This has been rectified and they have a shoe rack, but dont leave your shoes outside. Personally the hillbillies who live in Whangarei tend not to wear shoes, even though its about 11-13'C, and they walk around bearfoot, so why they would steal my stinky trainers is a mystery.

I had to wait to Monday to see Trev and Maria as they are only open a few hours on Saturday and closed Sunday. I turn up on the Monday taking a few pictures and I see Trev tidying up the outside of the terrace. Within minutes I had a hot coffee and was helping with the washing up, after eating a very savoury muffin. The food is all veggy and they are using a lot of organic stuff. For those from Brighton, its like the Sanctuary but with all the the bits and pieces from the Mansions. Imagine putting a green veggy cafe in the middle of Texas; this is what they have done, trying to educate people.

I didnt think Wednesday was funny at all, after chilling out with Trev in the morning, they put me on the counter. Now I have never served in a cafe in my life. I have never used a proper coffee machine and I certainly dont know how to make a 'Panini 4' or 'the special'. it was an unmitigated disaster. Maria and Trev would come out of the kitchen and ask me who had ordered the soup or the flat white with soya and I would have to answer that it could be anyone in this room, or they might have left or my writing might be wrong. Funnily enough I went back to pan bashing on the Thursday and we were all a lot happier.

Despite the happiness, Maria and I have felt the presence of ghosts in the cafe, and we dont know why. It could be something to do with the healthy eating or something might be making us paranoid about the building. Even Trev felt it the other night. Most strange. If you are ever in New Zealand then get up to Whangarei and to the "Mezzanine Cafe, 79 Walton Street, Whangarei". Its above a Homeopathic medicine shop and a healthfood shop.

I needed to come back to Auckland for a few days. First to let Maria and Trev sort out the mess I left orders in, and I have to get my visa for Australia, and Im trying to buy a car in Auckland. Soon as I get a car, and the bank can be 'kind' enough to pull its large corporate thumb out of its fat corporate arse and send me a new piece of plastic I'll start travelling around NZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment