Wednesday 26 June 2002

Cook Island Tourist Information Centre

After a lot of umming and ahhing I changed my flight and decided to stay another week here, but also go to the lagoon island of Aitutaki. I got picked up and went to Toms Cottage, after a small flight in an ickle plane. From the air the island is beautiful, with many motu (little islands) dotted along the edge of the reef.

I hired a scooter one day and found some of the standing stones (marae) on the island, and also climbed the highest peak on the island which affords some pretty splendid views of the entire lagoon. I went up a few days later as I had forgot the camera, like a prat.

I did make sure I had my camera when the Prime Minister of the Cook Islands, Robert Woonton came to open the Aitutaki tourist information centre. I even got to press flesh with the man, and he joked how you could meet your prime minister this easily back home. Im sure Blair wouldnt be opening a tourist centre on a pacific island for another. The best bit was after where a huge buffet with booze had been organised. Didnt need to cook that day, which is good as I was starting to get bored of tuna sandwiches and pasta.

Went for a dive one day, but I think the diving is better in Fiji; far more to see there.

No comments:

Post a Comment